Join us for a time of meditation, encouragement and reflection on the timeless teachings of the world's spiritual traditions every Wednesday from 7-8:15 pm at FPCe.
Current topic: Cultivating Healthy Attitudes: Attitudes run deeper than what we say we believe about life. They are perspectives and emotional habits that color every aspect our experience. Join us as we look deeply into attitudes that are healthy for us and for our relationships, including acceptance, contentment, work for its own sake, openness and optimism. These are familiar ideas, but what do they really mean? Are they justified in times like these? How can we cultivate healthy attitudes?
Leader: Dr. Bill Kirkwood is a lineage holder in the Kriya Yoga tradition and has taught meditation and spiritual practice in the Tri-Cities for nearly forty years. He is an elder of FPCe.
- I've never meditated. Is the Meditation Gathering only for experienced meditators? The Meditation Gathering is for everyone, beginners and longtime meditators. Every week we walk through the basics of meditation, which are important for all of us to learn and remember.
- Is the Meditation Gathering only for Christians? Meditation is an ancient, universal practice spanning all times and cultures. People of many religious backgrounds and of no particular faith attend the Meditation Gathering.
- Can I attend the Meditation Gathering at any time? Although we spend several weeks on each topic, every week is open to newcomers. You can jump in at any time.
- Does everyone sit on the floor in the lotus posture? Most people sit on chairs, but we have pillows for those who prefer the floor.
- What happens at a Meditation Gathering? We begin with an opening prayer and a time for settling into the present moment. Then we review the basics of meditation, including posture, attitude, and a simple technique. We meditate for about 10 minutes, then Bill gives an encouragement talk on meditation and the spiritual path. A time for everyone to ask questions or share brief insights follows. Next, Bill leads reflection and discussion on the current topic, which changes about every six to eight weeks. We close the Meditation Gathering by joining together in a blessing for all life.