Our Peacemaking Team was one of the first to be organized around the PC(USA)’s Presbyterian Peacemaking Committee. The goal of Peacemaking is to assist members of our congregation to engage in peacemaking ministries that promote peace within ourselves, in our communities, around the world and with Earth. Our efforts are directed toward non-violence, social justice and environmental concerns through raising awareness and providing opportunities for action. Recognizing the interconnectedness of all things, our projects include:
PEACEMAKING TABLE - RAISING AWARENESS * PIES FOR PEACE * MEDITATIONS FOR PEACE * FULL MOON MEDITATIONS * STREAM CLEAN-UPS * NATURE HIKES * ALTERNATIVE CHRISTMAS GIVING * PLANTING A PEACE POLE * GREEN CONGREGATION COVENANT * RECYCLING * GREEN TABLE (DONATIONS FOR GARDEN PRODUCE SUPPORT “GREEN” PROJECTS) * PARTICIPATION IN GREEN INTERFAITH NETWORK, INC. (GINI) * SPONSORING WORKSHOPS
Pictured at left is the Boroko Village Project - The Peacemaking Team began a relationship with Boroko Primary School in 2011 through Dr. Kip Elolia of Emmanuel Christian Seminary, who is a native of the region. The school (grades 1-8) has about 450 girls and boys. Boroko project successes include:
* PHASE 1: Raised money to pipe fresh water from a nearby spring to the school.
* PHASE 2: Installed a grinding mill at the school; profits from the mill help buy lunch for the school children.
* PHASE 3: Upgraded the spring house and water lines; purchased materials for the children to grow tree seedlings (protecting the hillside from erosion).
* PHASE 4: Improved the water system; planted a food garden which supplements their lunch program.
* PHASE 5: Purchased desks for students.
* PHASE 6: Our goal is to purchase more desks and solar panels for the school.